Tips for being a Smart Food Shopper

Wednesday 10 February 2016



Shopping

Hello lovelies! As part of a general aim of being more organised- otherwise read as getting my sh*t together, I have a tips post on how to be a smart food shopper. I know I'm not the only one who loves going food shopping to the point where it can be (and often is) the highlight of my day. I love food, I plan my day around what I'm going to eat and I can get seriously 'hangry' if I do t have access to food. Anyway, back on track- what might seem like an easy task can be made so much more productive and organised following these tried and tested tips.



Eat before you go!

Do not, I repeat do not go food shopping if you are hungry. It may be obvious but I forget the number of times I have gone shopping on an empty stomach and come out with all the food I don't really need. Its simple, eat, then shop and save money!

Prepare

I see food shopping as a mission. Where I would happily spend a few hours perusing around the aisles, my boyfriend on the other hand wants to be in and out like a ninja. To aid us in this and ultimately keep our relationship in tact, I like to plan what meals we are having and then make a list of all the things we need. It saves time as you know exactly what you need and it saves money too because you don't get random things that may never get eaten.

Check the use by dates

Another tip that seems obvious but often forgotten. The tip here is to always look underneath the items on top as that's where the fresher produce is and it will therefore last a little longer giving you more time to consume it all.

Look down

On a budget? Most supermarket stores will have the cheaper alternatives right at the bottom of the shelves. This is because it's out of general view in the hope that customers will buy the more expensive brands. I'm not one for only buying branded food as more often then not the cheaper alternatives tastes just as good if not better (with exceptions of course).

Be a crazy coupon lady

I seriously think if I lived in America it wouldn't take me long before I became coupon obsessed and ended up on that programme for extreme couponers! I often blame my obsession with saving money on being from Yorkshire but I'm not sure that justifies it enough! Anyway, what I'm advising here is to take a few mins to scout out some offers before going shopping. If you're a tesco user-use your club card! You can save quite a bit here and there using the vouchers they send you through the post and it's similar for other supermarkets with reward cards. 

So there we have it! A few simple ways to being a smart food shopper. Let me know in the comments if you have any tips of your own when it comes to shopping. Also, how cute is this shopping bag? I got it from the poundshop and it's great for carrying the heavier stuff like milk etc- jees how old do I sound?

Chrissy x

No comments

Post a Comment

© Chapter 7 Maira Gall.